Monday, April 11, 2011

The Fire Part 1

A year ago today David and I were staying at the Days Inn each with a small paper bag that held a washcloth, toothpaste, soap, a toothbrush and a gift card of some type so we could get clothes at Wal-Mart. We had nothing but the dog, cell phones, our cars and a computer to our name.

The kids had had a slumber party Friday night so we were alone Saturday morning. We had taken a bath and talked about the children, what we wanted for our future, retirement…when all of a sudden we realized it was time to pick up the boys and I had an appointment at the Apple Store because my computer was acting crazy. So we hurried up and got ready and David blew out the candles.

We left within 15 minutes. Mac, being trained as a service dog, went with me to the mall. While I was talking to the Genius I received a text from my next-door neighbor “your house is on fire”.

Pulling up towards the house a police officer was in the middle of the road. I tried pulling around her and she hit the side of my car with her hand telling me to stop. Seeing the fire trucks I jumped out of the car running screaming for David and the kids as she grabbed me repeating no one was inside every one is safe.

I just stood there in shock not realizing yet that I had wet my pants. I saw David at the other end of the block and ran towards him.

We were questioned about our morning and where we had been. It turns out that the candle in the corner of the tub wasn’t blown out and lit the wall on fire. What the fire didn’t take the smoke, soot, and water did. The Fire Chief called it a total loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment