Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Following My Dreams


In ’94 I moved to Orlando to work in television. I did many different things and ended my creative spree as a scenic artist for a new theme park. It was great. I didn’t work a day for 8 years. How could something so fun and in my element be work?

Then I had a revelation that maybe I should settle down and get insurance after having a double mastectomy. Luckily at the time I was in AmeriCorps and had the same insurance Senators have. It paid for everything. But I thought I should give up contract work.

It was a life changing decision. I was miserable. When I realized I had made a mistake the jobs had dried up. One of the problems was that most of the work, besides conventions, went back to NYC and L.A. I then went from, to me, dead end job to dead end job.

Being super creative, if I do say so myself, made me board in an office job to the point where I wanted to poke my eyes out with sticks. Over the past few years I started to get my groove back by doing book reviews for a Christian publisher and longed to get back in a creative role full time. With David being able to work again and having insurance I started to pray.

I reminded God that he created me in his image and that he is very creative (remember creation, the garden of Eden and the temple?) I couldn’t take it any more.

I looked on all of the sights that show production work here and nothing came up so I applied for admin assistant jobs. Last Wednesday I received an email for an interview, looked up the company and almost fell off my stool. It was a production company. I was stunned!

I spoke to three people in 24 hours, canceled all other interviews and pushed off an offer so as not to confuse God with my intentions. I wanted this. Monday I was offered the job after sending many thank you notes after each interview and finally Monday sending a final email stating “I would like the job, please.”

I come to find out they have no intention on keeping me in the admin role. They just want to find out if I mesh with the team and will move me to a production role after 90 days. It’s mine to loose.

I am in awe of my Father! Walking on that lot last Thursday, seeing the sound stages I worked in 11 years ago and consequently getting the job has given me a peace I haven’t felt in a long time. The job is a 9-6 and shooting happens during those hours. It is long term not a contract gig and no more 7AM – midnight like I did years ago on three-week cycles. It is a production dream job.

Follow your dreams. God has given them to you for a reason!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment