Sunday, January 23, 2011

Peace and Hope

Romans 5 (NIV)

"1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." 

We had someone coming out to do work today who canceled due to the rain. David didn’t remember which caused a bit of a problem when I told him they would come next week. We made the appointment two days ago together.

I’m told I have a lot of character. Or is that I am a character? Seriously, what really keeps me going is my faith in God. David calls it child like. I believe God is good and that Jesus died for my sins. I don’t think God is punishing us by any means with Alzheimer’s. What father wants to inflict pain and suffering on his child. However I do think we live in a fallen world.

My heart hurts as I write this. David is good in the here and now but the past is hit or miss. He remembers sometimes, sometimes when reminded and sometimes not. There is no rhyme or reason. He fakes it a lot. The reason it seems so bad all of a sudden is because of his IQ, it’s MENSA high. The Doctor said he overcompensated for a long time. David thinks about 5 years. The disease has progressed to the point where he can’t do that anymore.

I do find solace in the simplest things. Reading my Bible, prayer, hearing David laugh, when he comes up and hugs me when doing the dishes or reading… it gives me hope for another day. Today is one of those days I wouldn’t mind Jesus coming back. I know it is an honor and privilege to be my husbands caregiver. I have no doubt God will cure my husband. I just pray that cure is found here on earth and not when he gets to heaven.

The kids are going to be here this weekend. Join our prayers that they have fun and we make many positive memories together. 


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment