Thursday, January 20, 2011

Basketball Friendship And Relationships






One of the kids Christmas presents was tickets to see the Magic vs. 76ers last night. I was going to take them being from Pennsylvania and New Jersey but I really want David to make as many memories with the minion (our pet name for our brood) as possible.

So I faked a headache. Though shalt not lie I know, I know. They had a great time and I was spared from being taunted the whole way home due to my team loosing. Gosh it was only by one point in overtime. That’s okay the Steelers won Saturday.

In the mean time I took a nice bath, cracked my Nook, and amazingly enough my brother-in-law called. It was the first time Kenny and I really talked. It meant the world to me.

One of God’s greatest gifts through my marriage is the relationship I have with Kenny’s wife, my sister-in-love, Donna. David introduced us over the phone while we were dating. We have been best buddies ever since.

She is the only one in David’s family I talk to on a regular basis and we have laughed and cried together (sometimes at the same time). I do have to give credit to David’s parents who call me now since the diagnosis. One of the best parts of last year’s summer vacation was meeting Donna, finally face to face (the spa day with my daughter, Megan, was the other).

The other night we were talking and I mentioned how I wish the family was closer. I’m all about relationships. Any to my husbands chagrin. When it comes time to share the peace in church I grab the hand or hug everyone I can find. I’ll strike up a conversation at the food store or shout out a chant if I see someone wearing the emblem of my favorite team. My take is that if God didn’t want me to talk to other people he wouldn’t have put them here with me to talk to. Needless to say, my husband and the children are exponentially shyer than I.

My theory is that I’m the second wife. His first kicked him out during kidney failure when at the last minute his sister came in to save the day and gave him one of hers. I did talk to her once and thanked her for saving the life of the best man in the world. I pray they don't think I'll do the same.

When I was young I prayed I would meet prince charming and he would sweep me off my feet. That happened for me at 39 years of age and his name is David.

Please pray that our family becomes closer and that deep relationships form.

P.S. David got lost coming home from the game. In the end he made it home. 


Blessings!