Thursday, January 20, 2011

In The Beginning

My girlfriend Kimmie assured me that there were still great guys out there. Being newly divorced I had my doubts. So to prove her wrong I went on a dating sight named Christian Mingle. I chatted with a few men that proved my theory. However a month into the experiment on Saturday, January 26, 2008, I awoke to my face being licked by Mac, my precious Jack Russell, a sign it was time to go potty. 

Cup of coffee in hand I checked my email and dating account. A guy named David had winked at me. We started up a chat and he suggested we meet at the local Starbucks in an hour. I’m always in the mood for a soy latte and laundry could wait.

When I arrived I saw this towering man with his head down sliding a pebble with his foot. After ordering my drink watching this handsome specimen of God’s handy work through the window I opened the front door “I’m Andrealynn are you David?” His eyes lit up. He responded that I’m prettier than my photo. Taking that as a compliment we sat and talked for over two hours.

David’s shy demeanor was charming and I laughed to myself as he sat with one hand on the arm of the chair and his butt a few inches off the seat as I told him I wanted to skydive on my 40th birthday and some day wanted to take Bibles into Gaza through the tunnels in Egypt explaining that when I was 19 I was training to be a missionary with Youth With A Mission when my only sibling, my 17 year old brother, Ashley was killed by a drunk driver. I was confused by the loss and thought if I couldn’t trust God to keep my family and I safe in the States I wouldn’t be able to overseas.

To David, coming from a legalistic background, my outgoing, fearless and as he put it non-demure personality was somewhat scary and refreshing. David is much more conservative being raised Southern Baptist where his father and older brother are preachers and one of his other brothers and his wife were missionary’s. He has three brothers and one sister in all.

The one topic we didn’t have a problem meeting eye to eye on was God. Christ is our personal Savior and Lord and worthy to be praised. He is the beginning and end of everything. We both read our Bibles and go to Church and want our children to know His sovereignty, love, grace and mercy. We both just wanted to be loved by a partner and had terrible divorces. Neither were our choice but due to affairs and deception.

God blessed us with the love of our lives that day. Knowing now that Alzheimer’s would cruelly enter our world we wouldn’t change a thing praising God for our marriage. We will love each other with our all till death do us part. 


Blessings!